Articles of Incorporation
Mountain Area Information Network
Pursuant to 55A-2-02 of the General Statutes of North Carolina, the undersigned corporation does
hereby submit these Articles of Incorporation for the purpose of forming a nonprofit corporation.
- The name of the corporation is Mountain Area Information Network ("MAIN").
- The corporation is a charitable corporation within the meaning of N.C.G.S. 55A-1-40(4).
- The street address and county of the initial registered office of the corporation is:
67 Haywood Street
Asheville, NC 28801
- The name of the initial registered agent is Edward J. Sheary.
- The name and address of each incorporator is as follows:
- Wally Bowen, 34 Wall St. Suite 407, Asheville, NC 28801
- Edward J. Sheary, 67 Haywood Street, Asheville, NC 28801
- The corporation will not have members.
- The corporation is organized for educational and civic purposes, including, for such purposes,
the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under sections
501(c)(3) and 170(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 ("Code") (or the corresponding
provisions of any future United States Internal Revenue Code).
- No part of the net earnings of the corporation shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to,
its members, directors, officers, or other private persons, except that the corporation shall be
authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make
payments and distributions in furtherance of purposes set forth in these articles of incorporation. No
substantial part of the activities of the corporation shall be the carrying on of propaganda or
otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate in or
intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf
or or in opposition to any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provisions of
these articles, the corporation shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on
- by a corporation exempt from Federal income tax under 501(c)(3) of the Code, or
- by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under 170(c)(2) of the Code.
- Upon the dissolution of the corporation, the Board of Directors shall, after paying or making
provision for the payment of all of the liabilities of the corporation, dispose of all of the assets of
the corporation exclusively for the purposes of the corporation in such manner, or to such
organization or organizations organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable,
educational, scientific or literary purposes as shall at the time qualify as an exempt organization
or organizations under 501(c)(3) of the Code as the Board of Directors shall determine, or to
federal, state, or local governments to be used exclusively for public purposes. Any such assets
not so disposed of shall be disposed of by the Superior Court of the county in which the principal
office of the corporation is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organizations, such
as court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes, or to
such governments for such purposes.
Click Here to Return to MAIN Primary Home Page