Cherokee County Courthouse
Return to:

Historical Sites

Photo Gallery

Home Page

The courthouse was dedicated in November, 1927. The building is made of unpolished blue marble, quarried within the county. From the top of its flag staff to the ground is 132 feet. There is a bell on top of the dome and four clocks facing each direction. This is the only Courthouse in North Carolina made from its own county's native marble.

National Historic Register Listing:
Cherokee County Courthouse ** (added 1979 - Building - #79001692)
Peachtree and Central Sts., Murphy
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
Architect, builder, or engineer: Baldwin,James J.
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History,
Period of Significance: 1925-1949
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Government
Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
Current Function: Government
Current Sub-function: Courthouse

Free JavaScripts provided
by The JavaScript Source