Home / Help / Win9x / Re-install Dial Up Networking|
To re-install Dial Up Networking:
- Click on Start.
- Scroll up to Settings, then click Control Panel.
- Once in the Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs with a double-click.
- There are three tabs in this window: Install/Uninstall, Windows Set-Up, and Start-Up Disk.
- Choose the Windows Set-Up tab.
- Double-click the telephone icon for Communications.
- Find Dial Up Networking and click the check mark to turn it off.
- If prompted to remove other components at that time, click Yes.
- Now click OK to exit from both windows.
- If prompted to reboot at this point, click No.
- Now go back to the Communications window. (See above).
- Turn the check mark back on for Dial Up Networking by clicking in the empty box. (NOTE: If the check mark is still on, go back to number 7 above, and reboot when prompted in number 10.)
- Click OK to exit from each of those windows again.
- Refuse the reboot once again.
- From the Control Panel window, now open the Network icon with a double-click.
- There will be three tabs in this window: Configuration, Identification, and Access Control.
- Choose Configuration.
- There you will see a list titled: "The following network components are installed."
- Look for TCP/IP (or TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter if you have that.) If you don't have that, proceed with the next step, otherwise skip to step 27.
- If you don't see the TCP/IP protocol, you should see three buttons below the list in this window: Add, Remove, and Properties. Click Add.
- You will then have a list including: Client, Adapter, Protocol, And Service. Click Protocol and a window entitled "Select Network Protocol" will open.
- There will be two panels in this window. In the left panel, click Microsoft (Scroll down to find if necessary.)
- In the right panel, click TCP/IP. Click OK.
- Click TCP/IP (or TCP/IP -> Dial Up Adapter if it's there.)
- Click OK if you get a warning message "You have asked to change..."
- Click the WINS configuration tab (if you don't have one skip to step 31).
- Click Disable WINS.
- Click OK on each open window and close the Control Panel.
- Restart the computer if prompted, or by clicking Start-Shutdown...