M@IN Setup Instructions for Mac OS X.
- Go to the Apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen, click on
it and pull down to System Preferences.
- Double click the Network icon.
- Leave location at "Automatic". For "Show", select the
appropriate modem for your situation.
- TCP/IP tab: Set "Configure" to "Using PPP". Everything else is blank.
- PPP tab: "Service Provider" MAIN, "Telephone Number" - from your User
Account letter from MAIN. No alternate number. "Account Name" (= User
Name)& "Password" - from your User Account letter from MAIN.
Check "Save Password". Click on "PPP Options". Put check marks in
"Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications",
"Disconnect when user logs out",
"Redial if busy" (set for 2 times and 30 seconds),
under Advanced click "Use TCP/IP header compression" and then click "OK".
- Modem tab: make sure you select the appropriate modem driver for your
situation. Under "Dialing", click "Tone" and put a check mark in
"Wait for dial tone before dialing".
- Click "Apply Now".
- Open the Mail Application. It is the Stamp icon in the Dock at the
bottom of your screen, or in the Applications folder it is "Mail" or
- If you haven't opened your Mail app before, you will see "Mail Setup".
If so, go to 9a: If you have opened your Mail app before, go to 9b:
9a.In the "Mail Setup" window for "Your Name:" put in what you want. For
"Email Address", put in the address listed on your User Account letter
from MAIN. For "Incoming Mail Server" and "Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server",
it is listed on your User Account letter as "POP3/SMPT mail server name".
"Mail Server Type" is POP. "User Account ID" is "Username" from your User
Account letter. Put in password from letter. It will show up as black
circles. Click "OK".
9b.If you have opened your Mail program and need to modify the settings,
go to Mail Preferences. Make sure the "Accounts" tab is chosen at the top.
Click "Create Account". Enter this information:
"Account Type" is "POP Account"
"Description" is "MAIN".
"Email Address" is listed on your User Account letter.
"Full Name" - whatever you want.
"Host Name" - "MAIN".
"User Name" and "Password" -are listed on your User Account letter
"SMTP Host" is listed on your User Account letter as
"POP3/SMPT mail server name".
Leave the rest alone.
- Congratulations! You are ready to access the Internet via MAIN, your
If you need assistance contact our Help Desk. Email: email@example.com
HELP LINE (inside Buncombe county) - 255-0282
TOLL FREE (outside Buncombe county)- 866-435-7517
If you leave a message, we will return the call in the order in which it
was received as soon as possible.
Administrative Support (inside Buncombe county) - 255-0182
TOLL FREE (outside Buncombe county) 866-WNC-MAIN (962-6246)